Hi, it’s me. I made another incredible, savory dip for you because you can never have too many, right? Right.
This is my high protein sour cream and onion dip that just so happens to be made WITHOUT any sour cream because yes, we’re whipping up high protein cottage cheese instead. It’s deliciously creamy and blended together with herbs and spices that seriously make it taste like a cross between homemade ranch and your favorite bag of sour cream and onion chips.
Get ready to dip crackers, veggies, and more at your next party, potluck, or Football Sunday. Plus, it makes the best afternoon snack. Let’s get dippin’!
Dips made extra delicious with cottage cheese
Traditional sour cream and onion dip, also known as French onion dip, is often made with sour cream, mayo, mustard, sugar, and other heavy ingredients. We’re lightening up this dip with creamy, protein-packed cottage cheese and are including all of the necessary herbs and spices to make it taste like the real deal.
I’ve been experimenting with tons of unique ways to use cottage cheese in both sweet and savory recipes — the OG AK followers will recognize these Cottage Cheese Banana Oatmeal Protein Pancakes! This fun, healthy sour cream and onion dip is packed with over 10g of protein per serving and will have you skipping the store-bought version for good.
Ingredients in this high protein sour cream and onion dip
This incredible dip couldn’t be easier to whip up with just 6 simple ingredients. It truly tastes like sour cream and onion or ranch depending on how you use it! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Cottage cheese: the base of this dip is made with protein-packed cottage cheese because we’re obsessed (in a good way). I typically use Good Culture or Nancy’s whole milk cottage cheese!
- Seasonings: the dip gets that savory sour cream and onion flavor from garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper.
- Freshness: you’ll also need fresh lemon zest and some chopped chives for the perfect balance.
Can I use yogurt instead?
Sure! Just note that the flavor of this dip will be more tart and acidic when yogurt than it is with cottage cheese as cottage cheese is very neutral in flavor.
Our fav ways to enjoy it
As you can probably guess, there are hundreds of delicious ways to enjoy this high protein sour cream and onion dip. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Dip crackers, pita chips, pretzels, or freshly cut vegetables
- Spread it on sandwiches, wraps, or burgers
- Use it as a dressing for salads or grain bowls (in place of store-bought ranch dressing!)
Healthy sour cream and onion dip in 2 steps
- Blend the dip. Add all of the ingredients except the chives to a high-powered blender and blend on high until nice and smooth. Scrape down the sides as needed and blend again, then stir in chives.
- Garnish & serve. Pour the dip into a shallow bowl, top with extra chives and black pepper, and serve it up!
Make this dip ahead of time
Sure! Feel free to whip up this high-protein sour cream and onion dip 1-2 days ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Store any leftover sour cream and onion dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Remember to mix it up a bit before enjoying it from the fridge.
More savory dip recipes
Get all of my dip recipes here!
I hope you love this high protein sour cream and onion dip! If you make it be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked it. Enjoy, xo!
High Protein Sour Cream & Onion Dip
Delicious high protein sour cream and onion dip made with protein-packed cottage cheese and flavorful herbs and spices. This easy, healthy sour cream and onion dip is perfect for dipping pita chips, crackers, and veggies, or even using as a dressing or sandwich spread!
- 1 pint cottage cheese (I used whole milk cottage cheese)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives, divided
- Pita chips, crackers, or your favorite veggies
Add cottage cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and lemon zest to a high-powered blender. Blend on high for 30 seconds to 1 minute, use a blender tamper or a spatula to scrape down the sides and get things moving as necessary, and blend again until silky smooth. Use a spoon to stir in 2 tablespoons chopped chives.
Pour the dip into a serving bowl and garnish with 1 tablespoon of chopped chives and more black pepper. Serve with chips, pita chips, crackers, or veggies.
See the full post for tips, tricks & ways to customize this dip.
Serving: 1serving (dip only)Calories: 90kcalCarbohydrates: 3.5gProtein: 10.1gFat: 3.8gSaturated Fat: 1.5gFiber: 0.2gSugar: 2.5g